Replacing old tenacy agreements with new ones
Tenancy Types and Management

0 Thanks
21 Posts
14 years ago
I am a recent "joiner" to RLA and I am aware that much of the tenancy documentation I have been using over the past few years is now dangerously out of date. I therefore intend to ask all my tenants to re-sign the new RLA documents and have their guarantors sign the Unlimited Deed that I would need to rely on in the event of default by the tenant. (My current Guarantor form is not executed as a deed and I am unsure whether it can be relied upon.)

My question is: Is there a process or procedure that I must follow to have the new documentation signed (e.g. do I need to serve notice to terminate the old tenancy) or can I simply contact the tenants (and their guarantors) and ask them to sign the new tenancy paperwork? (I have no problem in them each having a new AST for at least 6 months - they're all lomg term tenants anyway.)

If, for whatever reason, a tenant refuses to sign the new paperwork, I presume I would need to serve s21 to terminate in 2 months time but at least I'd be pre-empting any future disputes where the strength of my current tenancy documentation might not hold up.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.