Damp in Property
Tenancy Types and Management

3 Thanks
116 Posts
12 years ago

I own a property that was bought from the current tenants in around 2008.

They claim that there is a damp problem in the property that has arisen in the last few years. One area is in an upstairs bedroom below the window where their conservatory (erected before we bought the house, meets the house. I have asked them to get in touch with conservatory company as this appears to me a fault of theirs.

Now the tenant has returned to me saying that there is damp else where and that her doctor has advised her to move out.

My question is, where do I stand legally on obligations to fix something that is the fault of contractors employed by the tenants when they were previous owners and also, should I ask to see a medical report before ripping apart the plaster?

Many thanks


Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.