Student living in parents 2nd Home
Tenancy Types and Management

0 Thanks
4 Posts
11 years ago
We have purchased a second property which is an ex council leasehold flat in London.

Our daughter who is a student is living in this property, we wish to rent out the second bedroom to another student.

We wish to get advice on the following:-

1. WHat legal relationship if any should we have with our daughter.
2. Can our daughter have a 2nd occupant under a 'lodgers agreement' - this gives her flexibility.
3. Should we simply take the second occupant under an assured leasehold (room)

In the absence of a leaseholders agreement with our daughter is she the landlord in residence by default because she is a family member?

We have a mortgage and out goings so would expect to pay tax on the rental after deducting 50% of the expenses.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.