How much to sue for

Ray D
Ray D
131 Thanks
759 Posts
12 years ago
Our tenant has left the property in good condition for once but owes over £800 in rent arrears. There is £500 in deposit protected at MyDeposits and we have a Guarantor who works and is a homeowner.

With MyDeposits I can unprotect the deposit online and as I retain all of the money in effect I am only down £300. However MyDeposits allows 3 months for a tenant to lodge a complaint. I doubt any claim from the tenant would be upheld as I have full rent records however you just never know with these adjudicators.

My question is this: I intend to file a money claim against the Guarantor would you advise me to claim the full £800 in court or just the £300 due after the deposit is eventually released?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.