Approaching Guarantor for rent arrears

0 Thanks
1 Posts
14 years ago
Generally we do not rent properties to people on benefit, however, on this occassion we agreed to let a property in a popular location (opposite a very good school) to a young lady on benefit with a school aged child. She appeared to have good support from her mother and her uncle stood as guarantor.

We have not received rent for two months and other months have inconsistent. We hand delivered her notice and then I received a call from the council's Housing Solutions Advisor telling us that, in short. she was pregant, had cancelled her benefit claim and in effect made herself homeless so that she could get a larger three bedroom house. During all this, Housing revenues finally agreed that we would be paid direct, which was a waste of time as she had cancelled her benefit.

We obviously need to approach the guarantor, can you advise us of the appropriate route to take as the RLA do not appear to have any guidelines on their website.



Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.