Compensating tenants for loss of heating/hot water

0 Thanks
3 Posts
15 years ago

I have an ex-local authority flat let to tenants. The block is fed by a communal heating and hot water system. At the weekend there was a major failure of both boilers and all of the occupants in the street have been without heating and hot water. The council (Wandsworth) are trying to effect a short term repair but they acknowledge that a whole new bespoke system will have to be ordered, built and installed. This could take some time. In the meantime the tenants have been very understanding about the nature of the problem. However, I will need to seek redress from the council and I am concerned about how and to what extent I should compensate the tenants. The charge from the council is roughly £70.00pcm for heating and hot water. The tenants are on a standard AST. I am trying to guage my level of liability.

Any views gratefully received.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.