0 Thanks
2 Posts
15 years ago

I have a house which is currently being rented out and is in need of property modernization.
The current tenants have been in the property for many years and not kept the property in good condition. I plan to redesign the layout of the property and compleatly modernize the interior. Hopefully I will be able to again rent the property for a higher rent.
We have recieved a report from the local council outlining areas of the property that need to be improved. (eg more space needed in the kitchen to open the oven door, lower light fittings). The council have given deadlines for dates when this work needs to be carried out.
As we have now issued section 21 for tenants to leave the property do we still have to meet there deadlines?

The property is a grade II listed building the council do not seem to take into account the time taken to get planning permission. (for example one of the councils issues is lack of kitchen space, one option is to knock down a wall to enlarge the kitchen but this needs planning permission and will take time to do)

I would be very grateful for any advise about meeting the councils requirements for the property.

Can we ask the council to extend there deadlines for work to be done on the property? Do the council demands still need to be meet now the tenants are leaving jan 1st 09.

thank you

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.