Problem tenant

Joanna H
Joanna H
0 Thanks
5 Posts
16 years ago
I have just given my tenant 2 calender months notice with a Section 21 notice given to her by hand and at the same time carried out an inspection. I will be sending her a letter detailing the outcome of the inspection, and there is so much damage caused to the property that her deposit of £400 will not cover it if she can't get everything fixed herself. The problem is that she is letting her boyfriend (who is her little boy's father) stay over at the property, lying about it and letting him do stuff on the house destroying it in the meantime. She is on benefits and the rent comes straight to me and she has a housing support officer. The deposit is not in a scheme so what problems could occur if she tries to get her deposit back? She doesn’t have any money but could she take me to Court to get her deposit back? I have no photographic proof of the state of the property at the start of the agreement and as the deposit is not in a deposit scheme would the Court make me give her the deposit back? The housing support office had advised her about correct notice to quit but I'm wondering what the likelihood is of them advising her of this. The support worker is trying to get her into a Council property. I don't want her boyfriend anywhere near the property but then if she loses her benefits I will lose the next 2 months' rent.

We have also had complaints from the next door neighbour, through the Police, about noise from them and the neighbour has kept a log of noise and comings and goings etc.

Please advise!

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.