HMO license application
HMO Licensing

0 Thanks
3 Posts
15 years ago
I wonder if anyone can help?

I have let my property to three students who are all named in the ASTA. I have a smallish 3 bed property. I have also taken deposits which have been protected under the Government TDS scheme.

The London Borough of Ealing wrote to me two months ago to say that I had to apply for an HMO license. This is because there are more than two households living in my property. The paperwork is tricky and requires that I have to submit an electrical inspection cert as part of the application. The HMO license will cost over £500 as well. I am sure there are many landlords in the same position as they have more than two tenants living in their properties. My question is - Do i need to apply for a license. Is there a way around this? How are other landlords managing this issue?

Even more worrying is that my agent tells me that an HMO license on a property could devalue my property and affect future sale prospects because lenders do not like to lend on licensed properties.

I wish to comply with the law but am finding the plethora of emerging legislation quite intrusive and expensive.

Thanking you in advance!

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £85 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.