Serving Notice within the fixed term (non Housing Act)

4 Thanks
67 Posts
13 years ago
Dear Helpdesk

I need to give notice to a tenant who is on a contractual tenancy outside the Housing Act. The agreement is a 12 month fixed term which started on 30th April 2010 with a six month break clause. Ideally I would like the tenant to vacate on 29th October (at the six month point).

Do I serve a Notice to Quit?

I understood that a Notice to Quit could only be served when the tenancy was in the periodic phase. Is this correct?

If this is the case and I can't serve a Notice to Quit, what DO I serve?

I don't want to wait until 1st October when it becomes an AST, but need to serve notice now.

Many thanks
Lucinda Watts

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.