oil fuelled properties

Southwest landlord
Southwest landlord
2 Thanks
78 Posts
15 years ago
A gas certificate is not needed. Because you don't have gas. I have been asked this before. There is no seperate legislation for a oil boiler, so no you don't need a cert.

Having said that, there is always the electrical safety issue, as a fixed appliance it needs to be tested, depending on the use of the building depends on how long it lasts, normally 5 years, but certain councils can ask for it in HMO's every year, or it can be at every new tenancy. 5 years is the norm though. 10 years in your own domestic house, but its obvioulsy let. This is not like the 12 month gas certs though.

If it is a HMO, then under the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006, Section 6, Subsection (3) (a), you have to supply a electrical certificate every 5 years. If you don't have one, then they can prosecute you under Section 234 (3) of the Housing Act 2004, only if you don't supply it within 7 days of being asked for it. There is not a defence to this unless you can prove that the tenant is purposfully stopping you entering the premises to carry out the test, in this case he would be guilty of an offence under regulation 10 (a) of the MHIMO regs 2006, your defence would be under Section 234 of the Housing Act 2004, Sectio 234 (4).

Sounds complicated, but you get used to it.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.