Insurance claim

RLA Member_297
RLA Member_297
2 Thanks
7 Posts
11 years ago
One of my rented properties (an HMO) was struck by lightning on 6th July. This made the house inhabitable (all electric circuits obliterated as the cables in the loft were struck, two gable ends, roof etc. Damage is £80K and house will take 3 months to be up and running again)
I have a landlord's policy which is covers loss of rent and alternative accommodation but the insurers / loss adjuster are just wasting time now. Only now, 30th July, have they decided to put the work out to tender. I have an experienced tradesman whom I trust and he has given a price to do all the work. Where do I stand legally? Do I have to accept tenders from potentially substandard companies who will probably get cheap contractors to do the work.The longer it takes, the more chance I have of losing my re-housed tenants.
Advice please.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.