Legal Status

0 Thanks
3 Posts
12 years ago
We have a flat that was broken into in April 2010. The police attended & I gave the officer my home & mobile numbers in case of future problems. In Febuary 2011, acting on a report that the tenant in this flat could be planning suicide, 8 police officers attended, smashed the door to pieces causing nearly a thousand pounds worth of damage, found the tenant was not in, called a boarding up company to secure the doorway & left. Two hours after leaving they had a report that the tenant had returned, which he had. The police returned took the tenant away & called another boarding up company to refit the boarding as the tenant had removed it to get in.
We have had to pay the costs of rectifying the damage, which the police refuse to pay on the grounds that it was not excessive. However, I have refused to pay the boarding up costs, on the grounds that it was the police who called them & despite having my contact details made no attempt to contact me.
The boarding up companies initially sent invioces to the tenant, who didn't pay them & then left, so they then invoiced me.
Can you tell me what the legal position is?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.