A moral Dilemma

3 Thanks
116 Posts
15 years ago


I Just wanted fellow Landlords opinions on this one.

I have a tenant who owes me about £5000 due to various reasons, failed section 21's (we do indeed never stop learning), etc. However, court docs have come and he has s**t himself and rang me up. We have negotiated that he will move out and set up a payment plan for the arrears (might not get them back i know but jsut want the hosue back). He is currently looking for other rental properties that are considerably cheaper to rent than mine, BUT........he needs a reference.

I want my hosue back without goign through courts, I dont want to see him out on the street, but do I write him a refernece knowing that some other fellow Landlord mgiht be stuck with him. On the plus side his rent will be cheaper and I have showed him the housing benefit system so he could claim for the new proeprty, he is not a bad tenant in other ways, he has not trashed the house etc, however he does owe me cash.


Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.