overpaid housing benefit to tenant
Housing Benefit Overpayment

0 Thanks
6 Posts
12 years ago

I have received a letter from the housing benefit office notifying me that my tenant has been overpaid housing benefit of £ 2695.00 and that they will deduct from the rent due to me the amount of £ 20.00 per month.
This overpayment was done before the tenant moved to my house.

The housing benefit office says that I must recover the £ 20.00 from the tenant.

Surely, this is nothing to do with me and if they have a debt with the tenant it is up to them to recover it not to me.

Can they do this?.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.