Council Tax and part-time and 3rd year students

NRLA Advice Line
NRLA Advice Line
9 years ago
Case law has it that if you have individual tenancies the landlord gets billed for the council tax. That happens when one occupier in the house changes status as in this case ceases to be a full time student. I doubt you can do anything about your currrent problem.
However for the future, case law in th shape of R(Goremsandu -v- LB Harrow , High court 2010 EWHC 1873 states if they are ball on one AST then the tenants have to pay.
I also believe you will be liable for the void period when there is no tenancy
Dave A

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £75 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services join now.