Visiting parents

2 Thanks
9 Posts
10 years ago
I have 2 chinese tenants of longstanding in a 3 bedroomed flat. They have just e mailed me to request permission for their parents to stay in the flat for a 3 month period commencing in June 2013 during a ho9liday visit. In addition they are requesting a letter from me "to whom it may concern"stating that my accommodation is suitable for the additional "temporary" tenants. They have provided the names, dates of birth and passport numbers of their parents.

The tenants have always paid their rent on time and kept the property in reasonable order. I am unsure whether or not I need to have their names added to the tenanct agreement. Or obtain some form of supplementary agreement to protect my position. In princile I have no objection to their request and am pleased that they have notified me. I am wondering why they need my written assurance that the property is suitable. I am thinking that this has to do with immigration isssues. If this is the case then clearly the "3 month holiday request" may in fact turn into a permanent situation.

Sorry to pose such a complcated question and hope someone can advise.
Perhaps I need to consult a legal expert?

Andrew Cookson

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.