Right to alternative accommodation during emergency repairs

0 Thanks
1 Posts
10 years ago
We have a Assured Tenancy agreement for 3 individual tenants in furnished HMO. The property has not been fit for habitation for the last month. I have found alternative accommodation during this period, but the work is a minimum of three weeks away from completion. I am struggling to find suitable accommodation, as the tenants receive 24 hour care from a care provider due to age, physical and learning difficulties and really need to be found somewhere together.

Am I obligated to find the tenants alternative accommodation? And if so, if the cost of the alternative exceeds the current rent paid, can I claim back the difference?

If I'm not obligated to find alternative accommodation, what are my options if I want my tenants to return? Is there a procedure to follow?

I really would appreciate some advice on this as I'm definitely in the dark on the matter!


Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.