One party only wishes to end agreement
Tenancy Types and Management

0 Thanks
45 Posts
14 years ago

I signed a Mr and Mrs P on a Joint AST for 6 months starting June 2009. Within 3 weeks they had split and they are going through a messy divorce. Mr P has some funds and is withholding cash from Mrs P till divorce is final.

Rent is now mostly paid for by local council (Mrs P stayed in house) and she is struggling to keep up rent payments but just about managing. There are no arrears.

I have had a letter from Mr P stating that he no longer wishes to be on the agreement.

1. Can he do this ?

2. Do I have to re sign another AST in Mrs P's name only.

3. What notice does he have to give ?

4. Can I include a standard clause in future AST's specifiying anotice period outside the orginal 6 month term ?

5. If so what notice period is comcidered reasonable ?

Please advise.



Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.