One tenant has left
Tenancy Types and Management

0 Thanks
6 Posts
15 years ago
In September 2008 I let my property to 2 people in a relationship (partners) with 1 child. I renewed this 6 month contract just on 1 March 2009 for 6 months, again to both of them. I have been approached by the female partner asking for a contract in her name only as they have split and she intends to live there with the child on her own.

I have some concerns and want to know where I stand:
1. I do not know whether she can actually afford it on her own and she may end up claiming Housing Benefit and I initially specifically advertised for NO DSS.

2. What if she meets someone new and wants to move them (or a friend) in?

3. Can I ask her to leave as I would not have chosen to rent to a single parent?

4. If I can ask her to leave is the procedure straight forward or do I have specific legal procedures and forms to follow?

Thank you.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.