Change of a tenant during tenancy period

0 Thanks
3 Posts
10 years ago
I rent out a house to four students on a shared tenancy basis so each is jointly liable for rent payment. One of the students is leaving the property within the next few days and has advised me that he has found an individual to replace him. The AST contains the name of the outgoing student but not the new one, so do I have to amend the Tenancy Agreement to strike out the outgoing student and add in the new one, or do I register the changeover in another type of document?
The outgoing tenant obviously wants to terminate any future liability and the new tenant wants some reassurance that he is legally entitled to stay in the property.
Your prompt reply would be appreciated.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.