Does the RLA AST cover this?
Tenancy Deposits

2,847 Thanks
11,803 Posts
10 years ago
I note that there have been a number of questions on the forums about the fact that Landlords now have to pay the Council Tax on a property from the day the tenant moves out, whether or not they have possession. One respondent suggested that a sum could be deducted from the Tenant's deposit to cover any gap between move-out date and end of tenancy provided that this was stated in the tenancy agreement. The RLA AST says "...we may take from your deposit....any unpaid utility bills (electricity, gas, water, phone) or similar sums or council tax for the property for which you are responsible". Is this sufficient or does the wording need to be altered to clarify what 'responsible' means?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.