Existing Tenants want to move Friend in to Spare Room
Tenancy Types and Management

1 Thanks
17 Posts
9 years ago
We have a Single Mum renting a 3 Bed property with her Daughter on an AST for £500pcm. They receive £450pcm LHA(2 Bed Allowance) towards this and Top Up the rest through support from the child's Dad.

The Tenant would like a Female Friend to move in to the spare room in the house to help out with the rent and Bills. The Friend is Unemployed so would also need to claim Housing benefit for the rent.

Do I need to issue a new room only AST to the Friend so she can claim the Housing Benefit, or just add an amendment to the original AST granting permission for her friend to live there. Then could the original Tenant claim for 3 bed housing allowance?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £85 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.