Rent Arrears - how to proceed?
Rent Arrears

0 Thanks
7 Posts
1 year ago

So cut a long and painful story short - tenant has finally left the property having been there 2.5 years.

Has been a pain throughout - at the start he said he was retired and did not need to work and infact was applying for Universal Credit. In 2.5 years he has paid his rent twice on time. He is now in full-time employment and has not paid rent since March so 4 months in arrears.

I gave him 2 months notice in March and he finally moved out this last week.

However he still owes me 4 months rent and he and his partner are in full time employment. He has a 2 year old car.

his deposit was paid by the council so I am writing to them to see whether they wish to visit the property or receive photographs as he has trashed the carpets etc.

So the questions are:

+ Should I apply for a CCJ to get the 4 months rent back

+ Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do this successfully / pitfalls to avoid

+ How long does it take?

+ What kind of repayment rate can I hope for (he reckons he earns £30k per annum)  

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.