Deposit dispute
Tenancy Deposits

Mrs F
Mrs F
0 Thanks
9 Posts
12 years ago
I am currently in dispute with our former tenants regarding the amount of deposit that should be returned to them. They made a claim to the DPS before moving out which I disputed and countered, but my counter offer was turned down by them.

My understanding from the DPS is that we have 2 options: to use the ADR process or go to court. It is clear from the wording of the email I received in response to my counter offer that the court option is the only one that my ex-tenants will agree to. My question is: how do I go about this? Is this something that a Small Claims Court will deal with?

If it is the Small Claims Court, I also need to go through the Small Claims Court to attempt to recover unpaid rent, which my ex-tenant originally said could partially come out of the deposit. Do I need to do 2 claims or can I deal with both cases in one?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.