Make yourself a brew -its a long one

0 Thanks
17 Posts
16 years ago
My tenant is now on benefits. Various workmen have been to fix the boiler and each time they say that there is an air blockage. They clear this and ensure the boiler is running, but turned off when they leave. They have informed me that air blockages are formed when the gas is allowed to run out.
I had the boiler serviced in November and the engineer told me that he had trouble in getting in as my tenant thought he was from
either the gas or electric board. He also said that the gas had been allowed to run out.

My tenant has contacted me recently to say the boiler was not working
I took down some additional heating. Am I allowed to bill my tenant for repairs to the boiler as, the engineer said that it would need a new water pump. They are not always available and I might have to have a new boiler depending on the model.

Whilst he was there the bailiffs turned up and left a package for my tenant on the chair.

My tenant is trying to get a council house but we are having a dispute about whether the tenancy is correct. I have issued section 21 notices as advised by the RLA and I am waiting for them to run out.
Also she is getting behind in her rent, but I am still ensuring that various repairs are being completed. (Courtesy of the tenants solicitor.)

1. Can I use bank statement for proof of receipts from the initial year when the tenant was paying private and had no problem paying her rent on time, (like a fool I did not always have a receipt to hand.)and send them off to her solicitor with proof from the council of monies they have sent to the tenant thus showing that over the whole tenancy how she is behind with payment.

2. Can I keep the deposit for either A) Lack of rent’s) Cost of boiler repairs.

3. If the tenant does leave without notification- how soon can I change the locks? Also what do I do with the possessions as the house is crammed various stuff. Can I keep the deposit then?

4.The last notification of the section 21 is at the end of March.
How and when do I start proceedings to evict the tenant? What forms
need to be filled in and are they available on line? What date would I start this proceeding.

I have sent a similar message previously, please reply.


Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.