Rent owed - What's the best method to recover

Deva Blue Boy
Deva Blue Boy
0 Thanks
19 Posts
14 years ago

I have two student tenants who owe rent. I have left 18 months to go by to ensure that they are now in work. Having established through a trace where they live I have now found out that they are employed.

What I wanted to know is - what's the most effective way to recover the rent?

I believe the small claims court (money claim online) is the most common route, however if the judge awards the claim in your favour you still have to collect the money from the tenant...easy said than done?

Somebody told me to ignore the small claims and go for a statutory demand, but after speaking to a solicitor this could be challenged and is risky.

Your thoughts and feedback welcomed

PS- The amounts owed are £1,700.00 & £1,200.00

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.