resident ll +family + lodgers
HMO Licensing

0 Thanks
1 Posts
13 years ago
i am a resident ll with 2 adult children. I have 2 lodgers. the house is 7 bedrooms 3 floors.
I wish to take a 3rd lodger.

I asked the local council where i stand regarding hmo if i take a third lodger.

They told me i would have 6 people in the house therefore i would need to be a licenced hmo.

I argued that myself and family count as 1 unit not 3 persons. therefore my family 1 unit plus the 2 lodgers i have plus the 1 i want to get equals 4. therefore i dont need to be licenced.

the council disagree and say we would be 6 persons. Who is correct.????????????????????

At the moment i am not an hmo therefore dont have to do anything. the minute i take 1 more in the council want 17 fire doors done, emergency lighting, zoned fire alarm in all rooms and corridors costing about 6 grand. thats a lot of money for 1 extra person.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.