Tax advice

James N
James N
0 Thanks
8 Posts
10 years ago
We currently let out two properties one is a basement flat within our own home (which we built ourselves) and another a separate property. Typically we complete our own short from self assessment form and with HMRC guidance are able to complete this, however this is the first year we have completed the assessment for the basement flat and in need some specific advice in respect of costs/reliefs in this situation.

In addition the freeholder of the other property has undertaken improvement works to our other property, comprising external cladding and insulation and new external doors, we anticipate an invoice for £15000 shortly for this work (this may or may not be received this financial year).

I'd like to know whether and how I can claim/offset any of the following:

1. Mortgage payments/interest n the house/basement flat
2. Construction costs of basement flat
3. Initial fit out (fixed items) and furnishing (removable items) costs of the basement flat
4. Mortgage/ loan payments on the freeholder improvements
5. Cost of freeholder improvements

I appreciate the detail of this may be beyond the advice available within our subscription to the RLA but would be grateful for any guidance that can be offered, including direction to the relevant HMRC notes or contact to quality and authoritative tax advisers.

Many thanks

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.